It is with regret that the Ward 2 Forum notes the unilateral cancellation of the Ward Committee Meeting of 21 Sept 2017 as per the below email from the office of Cllr. Danie Du Toit:
Dear Ward Committee
Notice is hereby given that the Ward Committee meeting for the month of September 2017(21 September 2017) will not take place. This is due to the Public meetings of all wards which will take place during September and October 2017, after which the Ward Committee Meeting will take place.
Ward 2 Forum Comment
It is a sad state of affairs that a Ward Committee meeting is cancelled when there is so much that needs to be dealt with, particularly now. The total lack of pro-active communication by TWKM is raising more questions than answers, and the unilateral cancelling of a vital communication and statutory link between the community and the local authority is alarming. The schedule of the feedback sessions by the Councillor and the dates of the Ward Committee meetings had been minuted and accepted months in advance, as per the year planner issued at the beginning of the year. The reasons for the cancellation of the Ward Committee meeting is thus weak and without merit.
As yet we still need to be informed about:
- Delay in the implementation of MSCOA & the financial implications this has on the municipalities financial viability
- Acceptance & implementation of the new TWKM Macro management structure.
- Adoption & implementation of the amended 2017/22 IDP & Budget Implementation Plan
- Public spat between the Councillor, Municipal Manager & the local press.
- Progress on the local housing impasse & growing tension between communities.
- The plans made in respect of the growing water shortage & how to mitigate the socio-economic impact this crisis will have on the area
- Decisions made and adopted in council, relating to the Ward 2 area, without the Ward Committee being privy thereto.
We thus have to deduce that TWKM have no real intent of fulfilling nor complying with the legal provisions for the operation of Ward Committees as contained in sections 72 to 78 of the Local Government : Municipal Structures Act,1998. We therefore cannot unconditionally support neither our Councillor, nor TWK Municipality.