SOLID WASTE – THEEWATERSKLOOF
Theewaterskloof Municipality (TWKM) has made public its long-term Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the Overberg District Municipality for the use of the Karwyderskraal Regional Landfill facility, situated on a portion of Portion 79 of the farm Afdaksrivier No 575.
Because the actual period of the long term Service Level Agreement would be the remaining lifespan of the landfill which will be more than three (3) years, the Municipalities have to comply with Section 33 of the MFMA. Municipal Finance Management Act (No. 56 of 2003)
TWKM is inviting comment and written submission on the concluded SLA to reach TWKM by 12h00 on the 28th Sept’18. TWK Information Statement- In Respect of the SLA
Ward 2 Forum Comment:
- SLA already concluded in Jul’18 – it is our view that this should have been an MOU prior to the SLA being concluded.
- Original SLA not available from TWKM for perusal. The W2F managed to obtain a copy of the original document through PAIA from another entity. Karwyderskraal Agreement – Signed: Jul’18 Karwyderskraal Agreement – Unsigned
- 6 variations between unsigned document provided to pubic for comment and the original document concluded by the parties.
- No Public Participation Process followed done prior to the conclusion of the SLA.
- SLA not in accordance with section 33 of the MFMA Municipal Finance Management Act (No. 56 of 2003)
- TWKM is unable to provide figures of the estimated solid waste volumes that will be hauled to the Karwyderskraal Landfill site, and is therefore not able to determine the cost that TWKM will incur over time.
- Contract period for 55 years, initial period 8 years.
- No TWKM Solid Waste Strategy/Policy documents available in respect of Solid Waste Management in the TWKM area.
- No TWKM SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) available for the management of solid waste in the TWKM area.
- EIA documentation on Karwyderskraal not available by time of the publication of our report. This will be obtained for our record and further comment.
- TWKM response to the W2F initial enquiry, raises more questions than answers. TWK Response to W2F Correspondence – 12 Sept’18
- Local Authority unable to provide a Recycling Policy in terms of Solid Waste for the TWKM area.
W2F will be submitting a full comment on the concluded SLA on behalf of the Ward 2 Community. This document will be available for perusal once submitted.
Should you require any additional information or wish to make comment on this issue, please feel free contact the Ward 2 Forum on email@example.com